0

Matt Meets Gordon: Episode Fourteen

Posted by Matt '13 on Monday, February 08, 2010
As I watched this year’s Superbowl, I found myself facing a conflict over which team to root for. Even though I have always liked Peyton Manning and the Colts, I found myself drawn to the Saints. The main reason I felt this way was because I thought that it would mean so much to the people of New Orleans to win the Superbowl after all they had been through. When the final whistle blew and the Saints were declared champions, I thought about all of work that volunteers and residents have put into rebuilding and improving the city the Saints represent. As I thought of the need that continues to exist in New Orleans, my found myself thinking about a place very close to Gordon that faces many of the same issues as The Big Easy. The city that I was thinking of was Lynn, a city full of people in need that is located not even 30 minutes from Gordon’s campus. Gordon has created the Gordon in Lynn program (go to http://www.gordon.edu/gordoninlynn for more info) to work with the wonderful people of Lynn to improve the community. Students are given many opportunities to serve and learn from those in Lynn during their time at Gordon, the first of these opportunities coming in the freshman seminar class The Great Conversation. Students can choose whether to not to enroll in the Service Learning section of the course, and if they do they will be placed in a volunteer position with one of our many wonderful community partners in Lynn. I am in the service learning class and I was placed at the Boys and Girls Club of Lynn. This experience has become one of the highlights of my week, and in my next post, I will give you all a detailed account of a day at the Boys and Girls Club. Thank you for reading, and God Bless.

0 Comments

Post a Comment