0

Matt Meets Gordon: Episode Two

Posted by Matt '13 on Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Hello Readers! I hope that you all are enjoying (or tolerating) the beginning of a new school year. I would like to use this entry to talk to you about a key part of the freshman experience, Gordon’s Outdoor education program. As you may have already heard, every Gordon student is required to take one of two outdoor education classes while they are at Gordon. There are two ways to fulfill this requirement, either going on a La Vida trip or taking the Discovery class. For more information about the outdoor education program, go to http://www.gordon.edu/lavida. Anyways, I chose to take Discovery during my first quad at Gordon. I went into the class not very excited about the idea and treating it just as something that I had to do. However, now that I am done with Discovery, I would choose to do it again in a heartbeat. Not only have I had all kinds of fun with my group on the high and low ropes courses, but I have learned a lot about myself and Discovery has given me lots of opportunities to work on parts of my life where I need to improve in a safe and loving environment. Even though I have loved every aspect of the Discovery experience, my favorite part was the group camping trip that I went on a few weekends ago. While this trip was not nearly as intense as La Vida, it gave me an opportunity to spend time in God’s magnificent creation and a chance to step back and honestly reflect on my transition to college thus far. For me, the weekend camping trip was a miniature version of my Discovery experience, challenging me physically, in my faith and in my relationships with others. In conclusion, even though I was not very excited at the outset, I am so thankful for my experience in Gordon’s wonderful outdoor education program. Here are some pictures from the weekend.

0 Comments

Post a Comment